Skocz do zawartości

Best practices using power amps

Klaus Maiklason

Hello everyone,,

Is it acceptable, or even preferable, to run power amplifiers at 0? So at Maximum if their scale is "-inf to 0"? And I've seen some amps that have a notched 0 mark at 12 o clock and room +/- on both sides. Do those two Zero markings mean the same output if those amps have the same rating?

Second question, is a 500 watt amp run at half power equivalent to a 250 watt amp run at full power?

Dnia 8/8/2020 o 11:14 PM, Klaus Maiklason napisał:

Hello everyone ,,

Is it acceptable, or even preferable, to run power amplifiers at 0? So at Maximum if their scale is "-inf to 0"? And I've seen some amps that have a notched 0 mark at 12 o clock and room +/- on both sides. Do those two Zero markings mean the same output if those amps have the same rating showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.cool/?

Second question, is a 500 watt amp run at half power equivalent to a 250 watt amp run at full power?

Thanks for the info! I understand the advice that you should not use an underpowered amp for your speakers, as clipped waveforms can be damaging even at volumes a speaker should be able to handle.

However, if you have an amp that is rated for more than your cabinets, is a limiter set for the amplifiers essentially "making" this 500w amp a 300w amp? Ie. Keeping it only able to supply 300w?

Separately, as someone who has little experience repairing (or, luckily, breaking) PAs, are the signs of damaging use entirely noticable by listening? Or can there be something damaging happening that will still leave things sounding normal.

• 6 months later...